Wigan Local Medical Committee
Notice for patients-
Applying for confirmation of exemption from Covid 19 vaccination.
If you believe you should be exempted for medical reasons from receiving a COVID 19 vaccination the application process for obtaining an official confirmation of this has been set out by the Government and must be strictly followed.
GPs are not allowed to provide an application form to patients directly nor any other proof of exemption. Confirmation by any means other than the official application form process will not be accepted by official agencies or organisations requiring proof of exemption passes.
How to apply for and receive your COVID Pass when you’re unable to be vaccinated:
(A carer can apply on your behalf.)
- Phone the NHS COVID Pass service on 119 to ask for an NHS COVID Pass medical exemptions application form. You can also call to find out more information about NHS COVID Pass medical exemptions.
The call handler at the NHS COVID Pass service will ask you some questions. You will need to give:
- your name
- your date of birth
- your NHS number (if you know it)
- the name of your GP and/or specialist clinician
- If you’re eligible to apply, you’ll get an application form by post. You should not ask your GP for an application form. If you do go to your GP before you get your application form, you’ll be asked to call the NHS COVID Pass service on 119.
- Return your application form to the GP or relevant clinician (Midwife or Hospital Doctor) stated on the form. Your application will be clinically reviewed by your doctor, specialist, or midwife. Your GP, specialist or midwife may ask to speak with you if needed, but you should not book this when you submit your application. You don’t need to contact your GP or the clinician reviewing your exemption unless they ask you to contact them.
- You’ll automatically get the results of your application by post once your application has been processed.
The full details of the Government’s application process can be read here:
The steps set out in the Government’s notice will enable you to have your circumstances reviewed and confirmation provided if appropriate.
If you have a query about going about the application process you can contact us at the e- mail address below.
The Wigan LMC is the body which is recognised by statute to represent and advise GPs and their Practices in the Wigan Borough on regulations, policies, and procedures.